3550 Lawrenceville-Suwanee Rd. #107, Suwanee, GA 30024 USA - Questions: [email protected]
- What is the MAChSpeed G4 TITANIUM?
The MAChSpeed G4 TITANIUM is a PowerBook Upgrade program / product which energizes your PowerBook G4 Titanium with new life - faster in every activity including screen refresh in Mac OS X. Since Daystar's XLR8 CPU upgrade includes a number of performance improvements and low-power adjustments, it is installed factory-direct by Daystar at our facility in Georgia. The Daystar conversion process is completed in 24 hours using state-of-the art equipment, and worldwide respected, Apple Certified professionals.
- What machines can use the MAChSpeed G4 TITANIUM ?
The MAChSpeed G4 TITANIUM is fully compatible with Apple's PowerBook G4 Titanium (400 - 550 MHz) systems. These are the PowerBook G4 systems that include native FireWire ports, running from 400 to 550 MHz in speed Often referred to by their code name: "Titanium".
- What speed range is the MAChSpeed G4 TITANIUM available in?
The upgrade is actually offered in two speeds. The end speed (and price) depends on your current system. We upgrade the 400 and 500 MHz PowerBook G4 with a 7410 "Nitro" CPU to 550 MHz in performance. We upgrade the 550 MHz PowerBook G4 using a 745x CPU to 667 MHz in performance.
- Are there any incompatibility issues?
No. Our engineers worked months to produce an upgrade that would operate transparent to the OS and the system. The MAChSpeed G4 TITANIUM will run the same OS's and the same applications as before... only faster. It also allows any applications that require 733 MHz G4s to run without modification.
- How does the conversion process / ordering work?
It is very simple. For any order, worldwide, an order is placed for the MAChSpeed G4 TITANIUM at Daystar's online store: http://Daystar-Store.com then, depending on the customers "3-way" shipping choices (assuming all three are used)...
- Daystar ships a custom padded shipping container to you.
- The container includes all instructions and a prepaid return label.
- The PowerBook is backed-up, packed, the checklist is completed and it is shipped by you to Daystar using the prepaid label.
- Once the PowerBook arrives at Daystar, our Apple Certified Technicians immediately test and verify your PowerBook component-by-component. You are contacted with any 'out of the ordinary' diagnostics. You can follow the status via your Daystar store account online at http://daystartechnology.com/store/login
- Then, the upgrade process begins, which includes the installation of all software, upgrading of the CPU (directly on your motherboard), cache (for the 400/500 systems), power settings, inspection and re-flow (if required) of all electronics and tuning of the system for maximum performance. We even touch-up the paint!
- When the upgrade is complete the system is again tested with an overnight battery of tests, then verified, cleaned and shipped back to you.
- Daystar ships the completed unit, ready for operation.
- You receive the final upgrade, open the box and power-up to G4 performance.
- Is there a faster shipment option? I can't afford down-time?
Yes. We have the "Week-ender" program. We used this same procedure back in the days of the Mac IIcx upgrades at DayStar Digital. It allows you to send your G4 TITANIUM in Thursday night, and have it back in your office as new and improved, G4 TITANIUM on Monday. The ordering process is the same just select the 'Week-ender' shipping options under product options.
- I live outside the USA. Can I upgrade?
Yes. Although we don't support the Week-ender program internationally, we do provide international based upgrades for users outside of the united states. You can choose from the shipping choice shown in product options.
Most international customers choose to save money by sending their unit to Daystar without a pre-shipment box via their local postal service. We provide all the instructions and checklists via email after they place their order.
- I don't want to send my whole PowerBook. Can I send just the CPU?
Sorry, but no.
- My PowerBook is dysfunctional. Can I still upgrade?
Yes! Daystar Technology is an Apple Authorized Service Provider. Your system can be repaired completely with Apple Certified components before upgrading.
Also, it is possible that if your PowerBook is having problems, the upgrade will fix it. The best solution is to complete the order for your MAChSpeed Upgrade then when sending the unit in, indicate the problem. We will provide the diagnostic at no cost. You will be contacted before any charges in additional to the upgrade are incurred. Note that Daystar can fix any problem in-house, from a "red screen", to "dead sound" or even "beeping start-ups".
- Why should I upgrade rather than Purchase a new PowerBook?
Actually there are a few reasons;
- The Titanium is an excellent computer. It can boot into OS9, has all the expandability of the latest PowerBook G4 and is far more robust in physical design than the Aluminum PowerBook G4.
- Extend the life of your PowerBook. The Fast G4 CPU delivers new life to your aging Titanium. It extends the useful life for another couple of years. Great for work, home or school.
- Wait for the next great PowerBook jump before buying new. Apple's G5 PowerBooks are coming. In short, why buy a new PowerBook G4 today when the PowerBook with G5 will coming soon? Plus, you can get fast G4 performance for OS X now and can begin using the newest "fast G4" only Apps without waiting.
- Apple states that Mac OS X does not support processor upgrade cards. Is this true?
No. Actually, it is an Apple marketing 'misstatement". Technically, in nearly every case, Apple cannot tell the difference between their stock CPUs and a third party modified CPU. The installer instead looks at built in features (like USB on the Panther install). The OS itself does not discern between the speed of the CPU. The correct statement would be that "Apple does not provide technical support for Mac OS X on systems with third-party processor cards installed".
- Why don't you have faster speeds faster?
Higher speed CPUs are available for these PowerBooks, but in general the system is limited by design and/or thermal considerations.
- Motorola doesn't list a 550 G4 7400. How do you ship it?
We don't ship the 7400. The 7400 (sold by low cost vendors) is actually obsolete. Production was discontinued over a year ago. We use the new low-power, 5th generation - 7410 "Nitro" CPU at its highest factory rated speed. This CPU component is much more capable than the older 'high-temp' 7400 CPUs. Our engineers adjust the power of this CPU to meet the specification for the 550 MHz as set by Motorola .