3550 Lawrenceville-Suwanee Rd. #107, Suwanee, GA 30024 USA - Questions: [email protected]
XLR8 Information FAQ for the MAChSpeed G4 iMac FP
Also see FAQ - Nomenclature
- What is the MAChSpeed G4 iMac FP
The MAChSpeed G4 iMac FP is an iMac Flat Panel CPU Upgrade program / product which will upgrade any iMac Flat Panel into a state-of-the-art G4 powerhouse. Since Daystar's XLR8 CPU upgrade includes a number of performance improvements and low-power adjustments, it is installed factory-direct by Daystar at our facility in Georgia. The Daystar conversion process is completed in 24 hours using state-of-the art equipment, and worldwide respected, Apple Certified professionals.
- What machines can use the MAChSpeed G4 iMac FP CPU Upgrade?
The MAChSpeed G4 iMac FP is fully compatible with all Apple's iMac Flat Panel G4 systems.
- What speed range is the MAChSpeed G4 iMac FP CPU Upgrade available in?
We offer two speeds. The choice of speed and price are dependent on the system being upgraded.
- 1.35 GHz CPU Upgrade:
Available for the iMac 700 and 800 MHz systems (15" or 17")
- 1.92 GHz CPU Upgrade:
Available for the iMac 1.0 and 1.25 GHz systems (15" or 17").
- 1.35 GHz CPU Upgrade:
- Are there any incompatibility issues?
No. Our engineers worked months to produce an upgrade that would operate transparent to the OS and the system. The MAChSpeed G4 iMac FP CPU Upgrade will run the same OS's and the same applications as before... only faster.
- How does the conversion process / ordering work?
It is very simple. For any order, worldwide, an order is placed for the CPU Upgrade at Daystar's online store: then, depending on the customers "3-way" shipping choices (assuming all three are used)...
- Daystar ships a custom padded shipping container to you.
- The container includes all instructions and a prepaid return label.
- The system is backed-up, packed, the checklist is completed and it is shipped by you to Daystar using the prepaid label.
- Once the system arrives at Daystar, our Apple Certified Technicians immediately test and verify your iMac component-by-component. You are contacted with any 'out of the ordinary' diagnostics. You can follow the status via your Daystar store account online at http://daystartechnology.com/store/login
- Then, the upgrade process begins, which includes the installation of all software, upgrading of the CPU, with cache, power settings, inspection and re-flow (if required) of all electronics and tuning of the system for maximum performance.
- When the upgrade is complete the system is again tested with an overnight battery of tests, then verified, cleaned and shipped back to you.
- Daystar ships the completed unit, ready for operation.
- You receive the final upgrade, open the box and power-up to 2x G4 performance.
- Is there a faster shipment option? I can't afford down-time?
Yes. We have the "Week-ender" program. We used this same procedure back in the days of the Mac IIcx upgrades at DayStar Digital. It allows you to send your system in Thursday night, and have it back in your office as "the fastest Mac G4 ever" on Monday. The ordering process is the same just select the 'Week-ender' shipping options under product options.
- I live outside the USA. Can I upgrade?
Most international customers choose to save money by sending their unit to Daystar without a pre-shipment box via their local postal service. We provide all the instructions and checklists via email after you place you order.
We also offer the option for international customers to remove and send their logic board only. Simply select "ship on customer account" for all shipping opitons. Then indicate that you will be sending the logic board only in the order notes (on the billing screen). You will be contacted for the addtional final shipping charges (normally $50).
- I live in the US and don't want to send my whole system. Can I send just the CPU?
Well, no. The CPU is soldered to the motherboard. You would need to send the whol logic board, and heat sink.
We prefer to ensure 100% compatibility. The only way to do this is to test the whole system, making sure the RAM and drive and OS are rock solid. This said, you are welcome to send inthe logic board only. Just follow the same instructions as international customers above. We will contact for you the final return shipping (normally $20) .
- My iMac is dysfunctional. Can I still upgrade?
Yes! Daystar Technology is an Apple Authorized Service Provider. Your system can be repaired completely with Apple Certified components before upgrading.
Also, it is possible that if your iMac is having problems, the upgrade will fix it. The best solution is to complete the order for your MAChSpeed CPU Upgrade. When sending the unit in, indicate the problem. We will provide the diagnostic at no cost. You will be contacted before any charges in additional to the upgrade are incurred. Note that Daystar can fix any problem in-house, from a "red screen", to "dead sound" or even "beeping start-ups".
Repairs are preformed at $75 / hour plus parts. This is discounted from our normal service charge of $95, since the system is also being upgraded.
- Why should I upgrade rather than Purchase a new iMac, or Mac Mini?
Actually there are a few great reasons;
- The iMac Flat Panel is an excellent computer, possibly the best iMac ever created. It can boot into OS9, has nearly all the expandability of the Power Mac G4, and has the best Airport reception of any Apple product ever created.
- It is faster! The 1.92 upgraded iMac Flat Panel upgraded, actually outperforms the Mac Mini and some iMac G5s!
- Extend the life of your iMac. The superfast G4 CPU delivers new life to your aging PowerBook. It extends the useful life for another couple of years. Great for work, home or school.
- Wait for the next great iMac jump before buying new. Apple has announced the G5 is dead. All engineering is working towards the Intel solutions... which are very slow today. The new upgrade will allow you to wait a couple years... to make a move when Apple software and hardware have made the transtion.
- What are the advantages of the XLR8 Low-power design
The CPUs used by XLR8, costs over twice as much as the CPU component used by many upgrade competitors, but provides the latest in functionality, performance, compatibility and temp control.
XLR8 uses the LOW power G4 Freescale PowerPC CPUs, in combination with low-power components and electronics, thus extending the system life up to 20% over other G4's. This also reduces the CPU operating temperature under the stock higher-power consuming G4s while producing increased processing power over any current Power Mac G4.
- Will I have to upgrade to new software if I upgrade?
No, but you will probably want to. All the latest Apple OS software and applications are optimized for the same 512 KB cache and CPUs used in Daystar's upgrades. So, the newer your software, the faster you will go.
- Can I run Mac OS X?
Yes, any version of Mac OS X will install, as it does on any iMac G4 Flat Panel.
- Apple states that Mac OS X does not support processor upgrades. Is this true?
No. Actually, it is an Apple marketing 'misstatement". Technically, in nearly every case, Apple cannot tell the difference between their stock CPUs and a third party modified CPU. The installer instead looks at built in features (like USB on the Panther install). The OS itself does not discern between the speed of the CPU. The correct statement would be that "Apple does not provide technical support for Mac OS X on systems with third-party processor cards installed".
- Why don't you have faster speed?
Well, we can only run as fast as is available.
Also, we are limited by CPU form factor and power requirements. The iMac Flat Panel 700 and 800 MHz systems use a 7450 and 7451 CPU. This requires us to stick to a similar pinout. The only fast CPU available today, in the same pinout, is the 7457. A very expensive solution, but an extremely stable solution as well. On the 1.0 and 1.25 GHz iMacs we are able to use the faster 7447A CPUs, because these shipped with the 7445 based CPU (360 pin layouts).
- Freescale doesn't list similar speeds for the 7457 or 7447. How do you ship it?
Today's CPU components are much more capable than the older 'high-temp' CPUs.
We work closely with Freescale to maximize the CPUs performance. Speed is only one factor in the CPUs factory specification. Power and temp actually complete the specification. We use the highest qulalification of CPUs, then utilize special application specifications (modified Power/Temp/Speed) to allow the chip to perform at our speeds.
Our engineers adjust the power of this CPU to meet the specification for addtional perofrmance as set by Freescale .
- We exclusively use the latest builds only - verified via date code of the CPU. Manufacturing processes improve everyday on current CPU builds. CPUs built this year, run much faster and cooler than CPUs built a year ago. We do not accept old CPU stock, which is less expensive, but would compromise the quality of our upgrades.
- We spec the CPU to the core power and multiplier as recommended in the Motorola PowerPC (PE) settings.
- To ensure that the CPUs are not running at the "edge" of their performance potential, we test every batch at even fater speeds. We ship at a max of 550 MHz.