for DayStar Genesis MP
System 8.0 Installation Tips and Issues
A new System Install presents many opportunities for problems to crop up.
We would like to present some tips that you need to take into account. Overall, System 8.0 is appearing to be more robust on Genesis MP systems than the earlier 7.x OS.
A: Compatibility Issues:
Many drivers an extensions are having problems with Mac OS 8. You need to verify that any extensions and drivers carried into the new system are tested and approved for Mac OS 8 by the respective manufacturer. Be wary of any extensions and drivers not yet approved for Mac OS 8. They may work for a limited amount of time, then begin creating disk errors and intermittent errors over time.
B: Installation Steps:
- Do a CLEAN INSTALL of System 8. You must create a completely new System Folder.
Too many incompatible extensions exist.
- Install the DayStar MP software from the CD that came with your DayStar product. (This is necessary to install the appropriate CD-ROM drivers for your computer, as the floppy updates available from our web site do not contain these files).
- Download the latest MP floppy from our web site and install. These files will update you to the most current versions of our MP software.
B: Additional Installation Tips:
- NOTE: Apple's System 8 installs some MP software. THESE VERSIONS ARE NOT THE MOST CURRENT VERSIONS AVAILABLE. The DayStar MP software installers provide the most current versions available. We HIGHLY recommend updating your MP software with them. After updating with DayStar software, we recommend removing the outdated MP library ("Apple Dual Processor HAL") that was installed by the Apple installer. This is located in the "Multiprocessing" folder in the "Extensions" folder.
- Back up everything on your hard drive.
- Update your hard disk driver software using a locked floppy of Apple's Disk Tools or your own formatter software.
- Take screen snap shots of your General, Memory, and TCP/IP Control Panels in case this information has to be re-input after the next step.
- ZAP your parameter RAM to make sure it is clean before you do the install. (Hold down Command-Control-P-R while booting and let the machine ÒBongÓ three times, then release the keys).
- Always perform a "Clean Install" from original System CD or diskettes (Hit Command-Shift-K and choose to make a clean install before clicking on the Install button).
- Restart your computer and let the Installer INIT remove unnecessary items.
- Restart your computer again with the Shift Key held down --to disable extensions-- and then hit Command-Option to rebuild the desktop files.
- Be sure to visit our web site and get the latest Genesis MP update disk image.